On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Stuart Buchanan <stuar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In an effort to help with this I've been looking at two fixes:
> 1) A control to disable sub-model loading for AI aircraft. This
> effectively stops the model loader from recursing into <model> tags,
> and therefore stops it from loading any sub-models such as cockpits,
> instruments, pilots etc. Note that this is generally better than
> having a LOD node on the cockpit, because it doesn't even get as far
> as loading the file, nor does the cockpit take up any space in the
> scenegraph
> 2) A control to set the LOD for AI aircraft. Currently this is
> hardcoded to 50nm, which is probably too far for most purposes.

Generally I prefer proper LOD and getting rid of specialized AI
versions. I want to see AI/MP aircraft in full detail when I am near
one - or even inside. Ideally I want to see all the instruments
properly working when I hitch a ride using model+cockpit view. In the
long run, I hope we will be able to couple animations to MP protocol,
so that the required properties (and only those!) would be transmitted
automatically as dynamically determined by the current LOD.

Speaking of stuttering, another issue reported on the forums and also
experienced by me, is periodic (~1s) stutter even with plenty of FPS.
That is with AI traffic (both kinds) and replay turned off,
single-player. I couldn't determine the cause yet. Anybody have an
idea?

--
Csaba/Jester