Jason Shepard wrote:
> Stuart:
>> 1) A control to disable sub-model loading for AI aircraft. This
>> effectively stops the model loader from recursing into <model> tags,
>> and therefore stops it from loading any sub-models such as cockpits,
>> instruments, pilots etc.
>
> Csaba:
>> I want to see AI/MP aircraft in full detail when I am near
>> one - or even inside.
>
> Well, the only 2 ideas I have regarding this would be selectable options
> within the FGRun GUI and/or the command-line:
>
> 1) An option to enable/disable the LOD capabilities of the program
> 2) An option to select either "AI Models (simple)" or "AI Models
> (advanced)".
>     a) AI Models (simple) would be AI Models which always appear without
> their interiors/cockpit installed.  This would be effective for those people
> who do not "hitch rides" or who want best performance at all times.
>     b) AI Models (advanced) would AI Models which appear fully detailed at
> the closest LOD limits.  This would be the best choice for those who like to
> see their AI aircraft in full detail and jump onboard occasionally, like
> Csaba.

That is indeed what I'm proposing :)

I should have been clearer in my original post - by having a "control" I meant
adding an entry in the property tree to toggle whether submodels are loaded
or not.

Similarly I am proposing setting the AI LOD distance from a property as well.

You can then set the property from the command-line, FGRun, or in-sim (though it
would only affect models loaded from that point).

-Stuart