On Wed, 5 May 2010, Mattt wrote:

>   - A very "jerky" display. As in, the aircraft sorta jerks backwards a
> little a couple of times per second when it's on the move. Sitting still and
> moving the control surfaces, it seems okay (although that's not much of a
> sample to go by...). This only happens with external views (particularly the
> heli and chase views - dunno about tower views). In cockpit and fly-by views,
> it's okay.

> Note: I posted this message to the forum several days ago. Anders suggested
> I set the FDM data rate to half the FPS throttle, which didn't help (but I've
> left those settings as they are - the slave's refresh is throttled to 20fps,
> and 10hz is likely all I need for the slave display I'm after). He also
> suggested that this may be "the known update order problem", which I've asked
> him to explain and haven't seen a response to (I'm in AU... gotta love
> timezones ;-)).

Hi,

I think this is the same problem as this recent (inconclusive) discussion:

http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg26721.html

Further, but without much actual investigations I think the jitter is an
artifact of the main loop update order which has a history breaking one
neat feature or another when moving subsystems around.
I seem to recall that the question about the jitter in external views
when using network replay has showed up several times during the last years.

Looking at the log for src/Main/main.cxx, if it worked ok in 1.9.1
I'd look closer at this commit:

commit ea4a3ee1df65b75169941af64f6f772737ff7ca4
Date:   Mon Sep 7 07:27:38 2009 +0000

Otherwise I suspect that this jitter problem has been present since Feb
2008 and was traded for other neat features in these commits:

commit 366178f801a921e73ca991f69a61bbea7faf9d0e