> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any examples of using metapost to draw instrument graphics
> (arcs, ticks, etc.)  Or are there other free tools that have
> good primitives for drawing instrument/gauge graphics?  I have a little side
> personal project here and I'd like to play around with it a bit.

I personally use Inkscape with much satisfaction. Drawing arcs, marks
and numbers is very easy with the vectorial capacities of Inkscape.

At the end of the job, I export as a bitmap ( png is default in Inkscape
) , then I import the result in GIMP to add shadows or other fancy eye
candy.

I attach an example Inkscape file, if you want to see how things are done.

Cheers,

Patrice