Since I'm quite new on the list, I have pondered a few days if this is
meant to be a joke.

> Ohhh look.
> A chunk of work required that is not screamingly time-sensitive, could
> be tightly defined and has potential mentors.
> I smell a potential project for Google Summer of Code next year........
>
> Immediate questions:
> 1) Can the work wait another ~14 months until hopeful eventual delivery?
> 2) Would James and/or Thorsten assist as part of a  mentoring team?

In case it is not: It seems to me the task is not downright horrible, but
rather has to do with inserting if-statements linked to properties in the
right place in the code. If I were asked to do this in my Nasal code, it
would be a matter of 30 minutes or so to modify and test. Probably not
worth forming a mentoring team to let someone else do that.

It also seems to me that 14 months is a long time for the Flightgear
development pace. More specifically, I don't know yet if I want to be a
long-term contributor or if I want to develop and deliver a working
weather system and then do something completely different - that has a lot
to do with what time to code my private life provides, and I'm not too
hopeful that it increases. So there's a real chance I won't be doing that
work in 14 months from now.

So, no, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me to wait14 months.

Cheers,

* Thorsten