Hi Pigeon,

Thanks for running a server all these years, it's been a big service to our
community!

Do you have any bandwidth statistics or estimates that you've collected over
the years?  What kind of usage per month are we at?  As you know, serious
bandwidth and dedicated servers start costing real money.  Do you have some
ball park estimates of bandwidth usage, or basic server requirements to run
a solid multiplayer system and keep up with the load?

I haven't researched this, but I wonder what a fair price would be to rent a
dedicated linux server with an unmetered 100mbit connection to the internet?
 Would that be sufficient to run a good multiplayer server?

This maybe should be introduced under it's own thread, but maybe this is
just as good a way to segue as any ...

I was recently approached by a developer from "open candy".  They offer a
service similar in principle to google ads, but works at the windows
installer level.  After you install the intended software, a page comes up
asking if you want to install any of the additional suggested packages.
 They all default to no, so you have to opt in to install something and you
don't have any nasty surprises.  Open Candy does collect enough "non user
identifyable" stats to verify that one of the suggested packages was
successfully installed to completion.  If an end user does install a
package, we get paid some number of pennies depending on which package,
which country the user is in, and whatever other criteria open-candy decides
to use.

I'm sure we will not achieve universal consensus on whether if this is a
good idea or not, but I wanted to float the idea and get opinions and
discussion.

If it generates a revenue stream sufficient to buy some decent multiplayer
server bandwidth, fgcom bandwidth, etc. would it be worth adding this to our
default installer?

Open Candy has a web site:

http://www.opencandy.com

You can go there and see a demo movie of what this might look like to the
end user.  Open Candy would work as a plugin dll to our installer so as far
as I understand it doesn't install anything or modify anything on the user's
pc.  They do collect some information and stats, but they claim it's all
"non user identifiable" and they do list what they collect on their faq at
their web site.

On the grand scale, I think open-candy is pretty innocuous and you have to
opt in for anything extra to get installed.  If it would provide a mechanism
to buy the bandwidth we need to run good/solid multiplayer servers would it
be worth doing?

Any thoughts and comments from our developers?

Thanks,

Curt.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 7:03 AM, Pigeon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>        I'm reluctant to announce that I have to (finally) shutdown
> mpserver02 permanently.
>
>        Rather than continuing to shape bandwidth and blocking IPs from
> different countries, which will only degrade the experience of FG's
> multiplay, I think it is time to simply shut it down and let other servers
> take over and do a better job.
>
>        The fact that FG mpserver is now using more and more bandwidth is a
> good sign, meaning FG is getting more and more popular, and that's very
> exciting!
>
>        I also apologize for not being able to give an earlier notice.
> (My) mpserver02 is already shutdown as you read this, until someone else
> takes over the and replace it. I shall leave this to other mpserver admins
> (and also Curt to update the DNS).
>
>        I will continue to host mpmap02 since it uses a lot less traffic, at
> least for now ;)
>
>        Sorry again, and thanks.
>

> Pigeon.

Curtis Olson: