Curtis Olson wrote:
> Gary and Stuart,
>
> We could certainly explore the donation route.  I'm doing a little bit
> of research to try to determine what the realistic costs would be to
> setup a dedicated server to run a multiplayer system.  That will give
> us a better idea what we need to shoot for.
>
> Don't feel like you have to talk personal donation amounts in public,
> but since we are on the subject, what's fair or realistic to ask
> someone to donate per month or per year for something like this?
>
> If we go the donation route, will someone have to be constantly
> pestering everyone to get their donations in this month?  Will this be
> an ongoing hassle trying to chase people down or drum up new donations
> to keep the service running?  Can we expect that people would commit
> to donating some fixed dollar amount per month in perpetuity? I'm not
> sure I'd feel comfortable making such a promise myself.  One time
> donations are a lot easier to get, but then we'd have to have someone
> always hunting for more donations.
>
> What happens if we come up short in a month or a year?  Do we cancel
> the service?  Do more begging?  What if we collect more than we need?
>  FlightGear isn't an official non-profit which makes it harder to ask
> for donations.  Setting up a non-profit organization would be a real
> good idea, but that takes someone who (a) knows how to do it and (b)
> can commit to spending the non-trivial amount of time required to
> manage the non-profit, file the paperwork, file tax returns, whatever
> else needs to get done.  There would be some non-trivial amount of
> overhead in managing a non-profit which means a substantial portion of
> donated money would go to overhead, not the intended purpose.  I'm
> just trying to think though the various scenarios realistically.
>
> There are a lot of sticky questions or the potential to seriously burn
> up the time of key volunteers (or their money if we come up short on
> donations and want to try to maintain the services.)
>
> We could continue in our current mode where we try to get people to
> volunteer their own servers or their own bandwidth (or
> servers/bandwidth they have control over).  This can work, but as our
> popularity and loads increase, this can be a bigger and bigger burden.
>  Volunteer services like this work best if they can fly under the
> radar screen and not cause a problem or show up as the primary
> resource hog when you print out usage stats reports.
>
> So this is why I floated what I think is at least an interesting idea.
>  Seeing if we could generate a consistent revenue trickle through
> software ads/recommendations in our installer (i.e. www.opencandy.com
> <http://www.opencandy.com>)  Presumably if the stream provided enough
> funds to buy some server bandwidth, it would be relatively consistent
> and pretty easy for a single person to manage the whole process ....
> much easier than the other options.  I'm just making wild guesses at
> [...]
Hi,

openttd.org does a fund-raiser every now and then - so does tt-forums.net
the fundraiser is done max once a year (2010 has not seen a fund raiser
as still enough funds are available from the previous one).
also, some providers will agree to give you a server hosting plan at
reduced cost if you embed an advertisement of the provider.
in the case of openttd that is an advertisement for leaseweb.
it's definitely worth running fund-raisers, however only if costs are
not covered, so that the project itself does not run on a 'profit', nor
could anybody make such a claim.
as from the sides of openttd, i cannot say that they have ever come
short, watching their fund raisers clearly showed that ~400 pounds were
raised within 3-4 days max. however i will not dare to compare community
sizes. that is beyond my judgment.

greets
Nathanael