>> I suggest the following:
>>
>> 18 or higher = advanced production (minimum 4 in each rating)
>> 16 to 17 = production (minimum 4 in each rating)
>
> For production perhaps at most 1 category with a 3 rating all others 4
> and
> above to get a little bit of a sliding scale between production and
> production.
>
>> 12 to 15 = early production (minimum 3 in each rating)
>> 9 to 11 = beta (minimum 2 in each rating)
>> 7 to 9 = alpha
>> less than 7 = not rated

I think 'not rated', 'alpha' and 'beta' have a meaning somewhat different
from the production ratings. The various production ratings are a
judgement of quality, 'alpha' and 'beta' are a judgement of readiness and
the amount of testing that has been done, and 'not rated' is a judgement
about the rating process itself.

In my understanding, 'alpha' denotes something I put out for others to
view, but I know it is not ready - I know that some combinations of
buttons create errors, that feature X doesn't do as it should.

'beta' denotes something for which I was unable to find more bugs, but
that hasn't been thoroughly tested by others, meaning that the likelihood
to find bugs is still high.

'not rated' I would understand as 'hasn't really been looked at'.

So, regardless of the sum I obtain, I would for example always consider an
aircraft 'beta' as long as I get errors from Nasal scripts in the console.
So while I see the logic in capturing 'alpha' along with the quality
ratings, especially with 'beta' I don't really see that it ties in neatly.

Cheers,

* Thorsten