On Wednesday 26 January 2011 01:34:35 Curtis Olson wrote:
> The other implication here is that it would be extremely handy to have
> multiple branches checked out simultaneously for other reasons.  git makes
> branching easy, yes, but if you find yourself bouncing between branches
> with changes for separate projects, and external events may require you to
> jump to a different branch at a moments notice, It's a major PITA to have
> to commit every little thing you are in the middle of to switch to another
> branch.

Well you don't. Often you just can leave modified files in place while
switching
branches. If it's not working, you still can simply git stash before
switching. git stash creates a temporary branch and commits your local changes
to that branch. git stash apply lets you get back those changes, even if
you're on a different branch than before (it's just like a git merge stash).

I found the book "Version control with git" quite useful. Yes it's somehow
strange to need a book for a simple tool like a VCS, but git's features are
IMHO worth having to read a little.

Stefan