On Thursday, February 10, 2011 01:24:32 PM Curtis Olson wrote:
> I have a hopefully quick question.  I've generated a 3d model mesh in ac3d
> format.  I'm doing this from a perl script and I posted some pictures and
> details of the actual model here:
> http://www.flightgear.org/blogs/curt/uas/misc/3d-modelling-with-perl/
>
> My script just generates the left half of the model.  I assumed I could
> just import this into blender, duplicate the half and mirror it and
> produce the whole model.  I'm new to blender, but I managed to duplicate
> the side and mirror it and the mesh looks perfect.
>
> My problem is that when I export the full model, the mirrored half is black
> from the outside.  When I look inside of it, it's shaded properly.  It
> appears that when I mirrored the surface, the face ordering didn't change
> so the mirrored half is inside out.  I've been trying every possible
> face/normal/edge option I can find in blender and haven't been able to
> figure out how to get my faces back the right way.  The original half of
> course looks just fine.
>
> It's probably something super simple, but I've googled and haven't found
> the right set of keywords I guess.  Is there an easy way to get all my
> faces the right way so both sides of my model are right side out and look
> correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Curt.

First you need to make sure that the surfaces are single sided.  At that point
the part that is black from the outside should become transparant from the
outside.  Then you need to flip the normals for those faces.  You might be able
to do this by using normals recalculate outside in edit mode.  When you are in
Edit mode in the 3D part of the display you should be able to activate the
buttons menu in the other part of the screen and it will allow you to turn on
displaying the normals vectors in the 3D screen.  This will let you know for
sure which way the normals are pointing.

Hal