On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 15:09:08 +0100, Guy wrote in message
<20110305140908.ga2...@unistra.fr>:

> Hi all,
>

> I have a long standing issue with my installation of FlightGear. Here
> is how it's set up:
>
>   * git cloned sources under /home
> (i.e. /home/{simgear,flightgear,fgdata})

..that means you have /home/plib, /home/OpenSceneGraph,
/home/simgear, /home/fgfs, /home/flightgear, /home/fgdata etc?

.._dead_ wrong, you have users plib, simgear et al fight turf
wars over things you should have in your own /home/guy/FG tree.
Arch etc Linux are multi-user OS'es, you have set up multiple
users to build FG, which is your strategic blunder.

..I could see a point in doing that multi-user stunt to e.g.
auto-build _several_different_versions of FG from git, e.g.
with /home/no-plib, /home/no-OSG, /home/git-OSG etc, I've only
taken that as far as setting up users for different purposes,
e.g. "gas" for gasifier development, "njus" for newsgroup
reading, "knoppix" for knoppix remastering, but I've never
actually got around to log in as "pol" or "njus" to do
anything political or read newsgroups, it got too messy
and I'm to lazy. ;o)

>   * compilation of simgear and flightgear from the sources
>     cd /home/{simgear,flightgear}
>     git pull
>     ./autogen.sh
>     ./configure --prefix=/usr

..use /usr/local, unless you are making ArchLinux etc packages
for your distro.  Other alternatives include /opt and /home/$USER/bin

>     make install
>   * data refreshed from git and terrasync
>     cd /home/fgdata
>     git pull
>     terrasync -v -S -d /home/terrasync
>
> The box is running ArchLinux. Now when I start fgfs
>
>   FG_ROOT=/home/fgdata/ fgfs
> --fg-scenery="$FG_ROOT/Scenery/:/home/terrasync"
>
> and select the "Select Livery" item from the menu, the list is always
> empty, no livery is available, whatever plane I choose. I've tried
> softlinking /home/fgdata to /usr/share/FlightGear/data, avoiding
> FG_ROOT variable, moving fgdata to /home/fgdata/data, nothing helps.
>
> Probably related side effect: if I choose the ufo aircraft, the
> "Select Model" panel opened by hitting the space key, only shows two
> items (marker.ac and sign.ac) from the UFO model, nothing else is
> listed.
>
> Is my installation wrong? Any idea where the problem could come from?
> Thanks in advance

..see above for why yes.  Fix:  Move all your FG users
stuff into _your_own_ /home/guy/FG tree, then chown it
all with e.g. 'chown -r guy.guy /home/guy/FG ' before
your next update, avoids a lot of ownership error whine.

..http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Building_FlightGear_-_Linux

..scripting your builds, is easier with Debian or Ubuntu:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Scripted_Compilation_on_Linux_Debian/Ubuntu
http://geoffmclane.com/fg/fgfs-052.htm
http://www.gitorious.org/fg/fgmeta/blobs/raw/master/download_and_compile.sh

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: