> HLA is a follow-on to DIS and SimNet developed by DARPA and would require
> either an extensive rewrite of FG to be HLA (Stanag 4603)
> compliant or a wrapper function, In addition, there is a thing called
> Run-Time Infrastructure (RTI) that handles the federates interfaces

Matthias Fröhlich added HLA/RTI support last year in these commits:
http://gitorious.org/fg/flightgear/commit/70dd6279a742030271b5b0927501f59bc9aecb98
http://gitorious.org/fg/simgear/commit/44ff23b227dcc1f3efbd10a4df4d8b723165c11c

I hope we have some time to test it during this year's LinuxTag...

Torsten