Hi Csaba,

> you have probably forgotten to run "apt-file update"
> recently.

LOL! Up until a few days ago, when you mentioned it, I
had never heard of 'apt-file' ;=)) let alone updated it!

Up until just a few wee years ago, I was a windows ONLY
person, and still do most stuff in there, but I now
have one machine which is dual bootable, and am trying
to catch up... and obviously a long way to go ;=))

So after my FIRST "apt-file update", it now responds,
like yours, to "apt-file search libodbcinst.so" ;=))

Previously, my only searching was through the Synaptic
Package Manager, or apt-get -s install <regex> to maybe
find something applicable... And will also now add
'dpkg -S <pattern>' to that...

> installing libgdal1-dev would have pulled in most
> of these automatically.

ZUTE! Naturally, when I saw this seemed all related to
GDAL_LIB, I checked for libgdal, and found it, but
_FORGOT_ that for building from source we often need
the <lib>-dev part, and all the dependencies, as
well...

Now I can see selecting libgdal1-dev in Synaptic PM
also selects libhdf4-alt-dev, libmysqlclient-dev,
libnetcdf-dev, and libpq-dev... plus mentions a
whole group of perl things which are already
installed...

It probably would have selected more, but I have
already installed some of the others directly...

Ok, a TG re-build still reported :-
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmfhdf
and when I tried to install that it reported :-

~/fg/fg15$ sudo apt-get install libhdf4-dev
[sudo] password for geoff:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  libmpich1.0-dev libmysqlclient-dev libmpich1.0gf libnetcdf-dev
libpq-dev
  libhdf4-0
Suggested packages:
  libhdf4-doc hdf4-tools
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libgdal1-dev libhdf4-alt-dev
  libhdf4-0 libhdf4-dev
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 548kB/902kB of archives.
After this operation, 15.4MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Sooooo, what to do NOW? Proceed, and remove the
just installed libgdal1-dev, and libhdf4-alt-dev???
For the hell of it, I say 'Y'...

But, that still produced perhaps a bigger MESS ;=((
Full details attached below. Naturally this is always
after a full :-
terragear-cs $ make clean
terragear-cs $ ./autogen.sh
terragear-cs $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME... etc
terragear-cs $ make

SO, just to be very sure, went back the other way
ONCE AGAIN :-

~/fg/fg15$ sudo apt-get install libgdal1-dev
[sudo] password for geoff:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  libmpich1.0-dev libmpich1.0gf libhdf4-0
  libhdf4-alt-dev
Suggested packages:
  libgdal-doc
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libhdf4-dev
  libgdal1-dev libhdf4-alt-dev
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/4,513kB of archives.
After this operation, 16.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Choose, 'Y', and naturally start with clean,
autogen.sh, etc, and end up back at :-
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmfhdf
Full circle ;=))

Many times over the years I have read here, and
on other lists, quite derogatory remarks about the
MS Windows DLL system, and someone coined the phrase
'DLL HELL'...

Well I am starting to feel, and see, Ubuntu has
massive Shared Library Shambles ;=))

Personally, I have had very little trouble with
the windows DLL system ;=)) where there is NO auto-
tool searching and deciding on your behalf what
should, and should not be, included in the link!

In this specific case I can not understand why
configure.ac adds this -lmfhdf to GDAL_LIBS,
when it seems in direct conflict with others...

But while looking in there I note there are already
configure items --disable-ogrdecode, and
--disable-poly2ogr, so try adding those... I add
them (by default) to my 'makefg' (1.3.0 - which also
now doubles for maketg) script, unless you add the
option TGADDOGR...

$ makefg TGAUTO [TGADDOGR]

WOW! YEAH! FANTASTIC! I got my TG suite successfully
re-built ;=)) well excluding these 2 items...

Of course any ideas welcome on this GDAL/OGR
thing... but otherwise quite happy... and again
thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Geoff.

Output:
mv -f .deps/ogr_decode-ogr-decode.Tpo .deps/ogr_decode-ogr-decode.Po
g++ -I/usr/local/include -g -O2
-L/home/geoff/fg/fg15/install/simgear/lib
-L/home/geoff/fg/fg15/install/OSG283/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -o ogr-decode
ogr_decode-ogr-decode.o -L/usr/local/lib -lgdal -L/usr/lib -lgeos_c
-lsqlite3 -lodbc -lodbcinst -lexpat -lxerces-c -lpthread -ljasper -lhdf5
-lmfhdf -ldf -logdi -lgif -ljpeg -lpng -lnetcdf -L/usr/lib -lpq -lz
-lpthread -lm -lrt -ldl -lcurl -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
-lgssapi_krb5 ../../../src/Lib/Polygon/libPolygon.a
../../../src/Lib/Geometry/libGeometry.a ../../../src/Lib/poly2tri/libpoly2tri.a
../../../src/Lib/TriangleJRS/libTriangleJRS.a -lsgdebug -lsgbucket -lsgmath
-lsgmisc -lsgstructure -lsgxml -lgenpolyclip -lz -lrt -lm
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libxerces-c.so.27, needed
by /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so, not found (try using -rpath or
-rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libhdf5-1.6.5.so.0, needed
by /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so, not found (try using -rpath or
-rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libmfhdf.so.4, needed
by /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so, not found (try using -rpath or
-rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libdf.so.4, needed by /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so,
not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
`xercesc_2_7::XMLString::catString(unsigned short*, unsigned short
const*)'
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
`xercesc_2_7::BinInputStream::BinInputStream()'
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `H5Eget_auto'
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
`xercesc_2_7::BinInputStream::~BinInputStream()'
[big chop of many more 'xercesc' things...]
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
`xercesc_2_7::XMLString::compareNString(unsigned short const*, unsigned
short const*, unsigned int)'
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for
xercesc_2_7::InputSource'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [ogr-decode] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/geoff/fg/fg15/terragear-cs/src/Prep/OGRDecode'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/geoff/fg/fg15/terragear-cs/src/Prep'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/geoff/fg/fg15/terragear-cs/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
~/fg/fg15$