> Current terrain engine makes flights on high altitudes or long flights
> on high speeds unreasonable. There is no Earth surface visible, only
> blue fog, but lags very big, fps may drop to one per second or less,
> simulation may crash on attempt to switch to other window and so on,
> because it still loads some terrain even if it is invisible to pilot and
> that terrain is unreasonably exact.

For the record, I'm not experiencing any of these problems when the
visibility is ~ 100 km - the terrain is simply gone. But I think it would
be nice to have an option to switch off the default terrain, to replace it
by something else.

As I indicated in the Forum
http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12005
a solution to the problem would be to represent Earth from high altitude
by pieces of a hires textured sphere (textures to be obtained from
Celestia), with (at least as demo) a simple Nasal script controlling which
pieces of the sphere are currently to be loaded.

I did some experiments with a textured sphere and found that I can't
simply place an Earth-sized sphere at the coordinate origin - the model is
apparently deemed to be too far away and isn't shown. Maybe there is a
simple way to switch this off - but if not, a viable solution would be to
use a nearer (co-moving) sphere bit which is kept in the precise
proportion to the real thing as given by simple ray optics. Using this
trick, I have managed to get a plausible ufo-above-Earth view within 35
minutes work with a simple lowres (4096x4096) textured Earth.

I believe all this is doable without significant modifications to the
core. It may not be an elegant solution, but it can be picked up by anyone
who is able to code a bit Nasal and can texture a model. Admittedly there
are much more elegant solutions, and solutions which generalize to flights
in the whole solar system, but I don't really see us getting started on
that.

Cheers,

* Thorsten