.."protection under the GPL", depends on a willingness on the
part of the copyright owners to actually exercise their rights
under copyright law to defend or enforce their copyrights.

..if there is no such willingness in any FlightGear author,
there is no legal protection of FlightGear, and any scamster
will get away with it, exactly because they can claim rights
to their business on your work, exactly because you exercise
your right under copyright law to choose not to enforce your
copyrights.

..in that current scenario we also lose our "right" to call
them "scamsters", and they may win lawsuits on us for crimes
such as harassment, denial of trade, slander, etc.

..so you may want to apologize to the scamsters, or, get off
your ass and enforce your copyrights.  Your call.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: