Gijs,

Some comments inline.

Vivian

-----Original Message-----
From: Gijs de Rooy [mailto:gijsr...@hotmail.com]
Sent: 13 June 2011 13:17
To: FlightGear Development list
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Rating System Redux

Hi all,

just pushed ratings for my vehicles to Git (wow, didn't know I had that many
(uninished) vehicles!
This year I didn't start new aircraft IIRC, I'm now finishing up my existing
ones instead, as I should
have done in the past years...). Anyway, I came across some issues with the
rating system:

1.      Certain vehicles do not have a cockpit. For example my jetman, which
is basically a man
hanging under a pair of wings equipped with jets. How would one give this
man a cockpit-
rating?! Maybe cockpit should mean "instruments and controls"? In that case
I can give this
man a rating: the ignition switch and parachute handle are missing from the
model.

For now I gave him a "3", but I'd like to hear opinions and see a note being
added to the wiki
on how to deal with such issues. It isn't as easy as "If your aircraft does
not have a given system,
ignore it for the purposes of rating" ;)

If the model has no cockpit (correctly) then it gets a 5 (totally
realistic). If it's missing a couple of switches, then that's a 4

2.      I think the alpha-range is rather big, compared to the others. There
is an awfull lot of difference
between a total=0 aircraft and a total=8 (eg. Model=3, FDM=3, Cockpit=0,
Systems=2). I
don't care if my vehicles end up low in the completness-rating (I consider
my best aircraft
early production) but I do feel "offset" to see my aircraft end up next to
an empty hull. Adding
in a 0-4 rating would be nice IMO; we can call that "pre alpha".

Just how many systems are there - this must be a 4 as well?

 So that would become 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 = 14 = early production. Good enough for
me :-)

Just some Monday afternoon ideas :)

Cheers,
Gijs