On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:49:34 AM Vivian Meazza wrote:
> I expect you have already seen this -
>
> ftp://abbeytheatre2.org.uk:2121/flightgear/SCR-522/SCR-522.pdf
>
> Right now I'm busy converting the SCR-522 into its progenitor, the TR1133.
> Not that it's hard - externally they are exactly the same bits of kit. I
> have found a number of duplicate vertices/bad surfaces however. Based on
> the Manual there are some small errors in the interpretion the function of
> the T/R/REM, and some of the dimensions. Key. I'll push the TR1133 into
> git soon, but as a new item: I will not overwrite any of the SCR-522
> stuff.

This is great info.  I googled the SCR-522 when I was working on it's model
and did not find much on line other than grainy old photos.  Because of this I
sized the unit by comparing it to photos of it in place in a P-51 cockpit.
So I knew that it's dimensions were not totally correct and I was not sure
about some other details.

I mistakenly thought that the switch-locking lever was a dimmer for the "T-R-
REM" indicator lamp.  Also I did not know that I had the T-R indicator lamp
function backwards (IE. off when receiving which is what it is on modern radios
- when it should be on when recieving).  So these things are wrong in my
model.

Also from the photos I had it was not apparant that the front and back of the
control box had removable covers so the screws are missing as well as the
covers not being propery contured.

My model is also missing the connectors on the bottom of the control box.

Then Vivian is able to find a complete manual for the radio which includes good
line drawings for all of the radio components including dimensions.  Having
these drawings makes it possible to add other stuff (radio box, dynamotor,
cables and connectors) behind the armor plat in the P-51D (above the fusealge
fuel tank) and have things accurately modeled.   So this is very useful to me
as it will make the P-51D model more accurate and detailed.

One orher issue is that there are two placards on the side of the radio
control box that in P-51 installations were visible.  These are visible in
Figure 17 of the radio manual (page 37) but are only shown edge on.  I know
that these are brass plates with red and black backgrounds but I didn't know
what was on these placards and my current texture no content on the placards.
There are no photos/drawings of these particular placards in the manual.  I
will do some googling to see if I can find more info about these placards.

Hal