Csaba Halász wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Martin Spott <martin.sp...@mgras.net> wrote:
>> Csaba Halász wrote:
>>
>>> Finally, there could be other programs that need scenery data, would
>>> you embed terrasync in each one? I view this as bad design.
>>
>> By having a closer look at Thorsten's patches you'd realize that his
>> primary work was to turn the standalone program with hard-coded host-
>> and pathnames into a neatly configurable library.  The interface
>> between this lib and FlightGear is pretty slim, it doesn't add much
>> overhead and you're free not to use it.
>
> I am not arguing to remove this, I am just saying I don't like the
> general tendency.

That's ok with me. Nevertheless declaring Thorsten's approach as "bad
design" sounds extremely onesided to me.  First of all, Thorsten put
the hard-wired TerraSync code into a configurable, pretty versatile
library.  I wonder how you'd declare this particular step as "bad
design".
Secondly he interfaced this lib into FlightGear, which is probably not
the incarnation of "good design" (I definitely agree with you on this
one), but it a) doesn't do much harm, b) defaults to "off" c) is easy
to remove when the time has come, d) adds noticeable convenience for
guesstimated 90 % of the userbase and e) .... see blow.

> Implementation difficulties don't really concern theoretical design,
> but of course certain tradeoffs might have to be made in practice.

Since the history of FlightGear development is plastered with tradeoffs
in order to serve this projects unique flavour of 'pragmatism', I think
that Thorsten's move is also e) pretty much conformant with "the
FlightGear project's traditional way of doing things"  :-))

Cheers,
        Martin.