2011/6/19 Ron Jensen <w...@jentronics.com>:
> On Saturday 18 June 2011 21:00:41 Jon S. Berndt wrote:
>> Here's an example from Hal's P-51D Mustang. This is from an old version, so
>> it may have changed by now, but it illustrates the approach. In the
>> <aerodynamics> section of the config file - but outside of any <axis>
>> element - is this definition of qbar due to propwash:
>>
>> [Note: <v> is shorthand for "value", and <p> is shorthand for "property".]
>>
>> <function name="aero/thrust-qbar_psf">
>>   <product>
>>     <v> 0.5 </v>
>>     <pow>
>>       <sum>
>>         <product>
>>           <v> 2.0 </v>
>>         </product>
>>       </sum>
>>       <v> 2.0 </v>
>>     </pow>
>>   </product>
>> </function>
>
> I recently added this function to the A6M2 Zero. I placed it on CYdr (rudder
> yaw) and dCLdf (flap lift delta) as well as CMde. It makes the plane fly
> much, much better during the initial takeoff roll. It probably should be used
> with CMdf (pitch due to flaps) as well.
>
> But why are you multiplying propulsion/engine/prop-induced-velocity_fps by 2?

The total velocity of the air flow in the far slipstream is V+2*w
where V is the velocity of the airplane and w is the induced velocity
as computed by the momentum theory. See the following discussion in
the JSBSim mailing list :

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=201004181833.32417.ghmalau%40gmail.com&forum_name=jsbsim-devel

Bertrand.