On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Jon S. Berndt  wrote:

> I'd strongly recommend using the JSBSim atmosphere
> when flying JSBSim aircraft models. If there is an additional capability
> needed, we can probably add that, but I have to ask why fg would not use
> the JSBSim atmosphere model?

Well, FlighGear has its own atmosphere model that is also used by the
other subsystems (e.g. instruments, weather reports, visual system, AI
traffic and whatnot). So far there has been few reasons not use that
model also for the FDM.

I think the FDM only needs to know the atmospheric properties "here
and now" while a whole simulation system such as FG (idealy) needs more
than that (not that we are there yet, but Thorsten R's work is interesting
and promising). I'd like to see the wind socks reflect the condition at
their position rather than the conditions where my aircraft is eventually.

Cheers,

Anders