On Sunday, September 04, 2011 17:09:43 Torsten Dreyer wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
>
> this all sounds very interesting and not only for AI Aircraft but also
> for the navigation radios. I am currently refactoring the navradio code
> and I'd really like to have a better propagation model than our current
> distance-squared or hard-cutoff model.
>
> Torsten

Hi Torsten,
the details of the implementation are as follows:
- hard cut-off at 400km,
- yet to be done: LOS mode with first Fresnel zone clearance (skips the
point_to_point subroutine)
- between user's aircraft and traffic/ATC within the 400 km zone, attenuation
is calculated with point_to_point(): Line-Of-Sight Mode, Single Horizon,
Double Horizon, Diffraction Dominant, Troposcatter Dominant.
- the main issue is the fact that if the transmitter radio is located outside
of the tile cache area, there will be no elevation profiles. I do not know how
to handle this yet, but I know you probably do.
- a link budget is established based on (yet) hardcoded values for transmitter
power, receiver sensitivity and antenna gain at both ends. These are separated
for ground stations and aircraft for obvious reasons.
- loss is substracted from the link budget (working with dBm here). If
resultant signal is lower then receiver treshhold, the communication is
discarded. If the signal is within a zone where SNR has a great influence on
reception, parts of the message are garbled.
- this is all inside the trafficcontrol.cxx file, but it should probably be
made independent. For me it was just a test run, to confirm that Durk's new
ATC code works fine with this - and it does.

I could see this applying to navradios too, except that in that case we have
mostly continuous/repetitive transmissions, and this model relies on
extracting an elevation profile between receiver and transceiver.
Thus, optimizations to my code will most likely be necessary to use with
navradios.
Anyway, in all my tests terrain is blocking transmissions as expected and
within the limits of the charts I have pre-generated and calibrated with
physical signal-level readings.

73,
Adrian, YO8RZZ