Hi Martin
as you probably have seen, I am eager to help in supporting the update
of the Manual. Please see some questions to your remarks:

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 10:33 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:

> Personally I doubt that importing HTML is worth the effort, and I'll
> try to let you know, why  :-)
>
> Upon importing whichever structured format, LyX (or whichever
> processor) will try to make a sense out of the current formatting and
> in most cases you'll have to fine-read the output anyway in order to
> make it fit the style of the current "getstart" manual.  Thus, instead
> of spending effort on removing obsolete formatting from the import, it
> would be easier just to dump the HTML as plain text and add LaTeX
> formatting only where appropriate.

Thanks for the info - that confirms what I noticed: After Installing and
doing some tests with LaTex and LyX I did not find a feasible way to
import the newly designed appearance - seems you really have to just
extract everything except the plain text and and build it up new -
without the support of a WYSIWYG-system! And if you wanted to change the
appearance of the manual you first would have to build up new predefined
structures (comparable to the CSS-Structures in HTML). That sounds like
a whole lot of work - and I wonder how I or anybody else can help with
that! Is there a description of that process? Could several people
cooperate in changing the contents as well as the looks of it?
  I am eager to learn how that can be done, in what time, and how to
maintain it in the future!

> I still think we should not stress people's sympathy by growing the PDF
> too large.  If the current setup grows too large, there'll be the
> option to split the PDF into different files and just have people start
> with the intro and the summary.  Internal HTML symlinks will do the
> take care about referncing the remaining parts.

I agree, that very big PDF-files are not the best solution, based on
download and response-times. That is one of the reasons, why even the
proposed HTML has 10 parts - which are all linked together and which all
have References between them all, so that it looks like 1 piece. I hope
that LaTex can do something similar - and then even add a Word-Index to
the end, that covers all parts in one index! In todays
computer-technology I really would hate to tell anybody: "We want to
tell you everything about the system, but we cannot because we are
limited by the file-size"! I see the future user/reader of that manuals
as "customers whom we want to sell something" (Or better: "Beg them to
to read it!").

> Agreed ! In fact, it's up to everyone here to create and submit better
> images, screenshots.  Basically this is a "the communit gets what they
> deserve"-situation  ;-)

Is there any description of how that process works? Can anybody
change/update or whatever into the source (e.g. comparable to the
WIKI-process, but limited to a unique group)? Or is it more "sent
to ...", and somebody will work it in (from time to time)?

regards joe