Hello everybody, I'll keep this message as short as I can for some reason:

We have built a script which will extract all Aircraft/* apart from
Generic, Instruments and Instruments-3d into separate, cleaned up
repositories and also extract the clean fgdata.

The script is attached.

Now we need to ask you the following:

The problem we have is that this script cannot be ran on Gitorious
directly. For one, because we don't have the required shell access there
and second, because the operations required to perform the split put a
tremendous load on I/O and CPU. With the size of FGDATA it would be
impossible to perform the operation on the Gitorious servers.

We need someone to run this script locally and then clone the result(s)
onto gitorious. For that you require

- Linux and root access (in order to mount a tmpfs)
- A good amount of RAM (at least 6 Gigabytes)
- A decent CPU
- Patience
- A stable PC
- and finally a stable internet connection to be able to clone the
  results into Gitorious

- And possibly patience if the script fails to have me make the
  necessary adjustments.

The script does not perform any irreversible operations and will
certainly not cause any damage (it is very simple and linear, you might
look at it yourself), however, I can of course make no guarantee for
anything so you best don't run it on a repository which has pending
commits to be pushed.

If you are willing to do this (I cannot do this for I fall short of a
stable inet connection), you must read the following.

Some preps are in place:

You need to mount /tmp/fgsplit as a tmpfs with at least 6 gigabytes ram.
This is not strictly required but otherwise you would have to straing
your HDD with an enourmous amount of IO.

After you mounted that, navigate to your fgdata directory (as user, you
only need root for mounting the tmpfs) and run the script from there.
possibly press Ctrl-C on the first run to read the message that comes
up. Make sure you run the script on a fully committed working copy.

If everything succeeds as planned, which could take many hours, the
results can be found one directory up (as described in the message) and
your current fgdata will have a bunch of new branches which you can
delete, which will return your repo to the old state.

You may eventually delete your old (then untouched) fgdata and clone the
results to gitorious.

The script itsself uses just basic git commands to extract the various
parts into the target directories and leaves master of your current
FGDATA unaffected.

any questions feel free to ask or join on IRC (I'be there arround
1800 GMT)

The principle of the script has been tested on a small scale repository
and it should therefore work. Failure is absolutly possible, if not
likely, but the worst thing that may happen is that it doesnt start
properly for one or another reason.

best thing you can do is look at the script yourself and see what it
does.

I'd be glad if we could eventually get this done.

Thank you,

regards,
ManDay