Hi Stuart,

On Saturday, December 17, 2011 20:14:22 you wrote:
> I've committed the code changes to my repository clones for the impostors,
> some configuration for LoD nodes, and having a geometry per cloud, with
> a bubble sort for ordering.
>
> It would be fantastic if people could take the time to cherry-pick these
> commits and see if it makes any performance difference for them. I
> anticipate the biggest
> difference being to 3D clouds generated by Global Weather, as those clouds
> tend to have more sprites than the Local Weather equivalents.

Good to see!
And in fact without testing too much I think we are on the right track.
Just starting and comparing the frame rates with and without the changes gives
a 3x performance boost on my setup!
Well, I have started the default fgfs at LOWI with the world scenery tiles and
switched on and off the 3d clouds. This is no reproducible benchmark but at
least a very good sign.

So, since you do not see that huge differences, it appears that your 3D driver
draws way faster than mine :)
For reference, what os/gpu/driver do you use?

The rule is really to call as few gl functions as possible. That is do a scene
that feeds all in huge batches doing just the same.
And keep in mind that there is a cutoff point - mostly higher than thought at
the first moment - where it gets more work on the GPU where it starts to make
sense to split these batches in halfes...

Just having a very quick look over the code:
You still have a normal array that has 4 entries and that is set to
BIND_OVERALL which makes the shader get in the end only the first member for
every vertex it processes.
This makes me believe that the normal is no longer used?
If so, just omit the normal array completely and set the binding to OFF (I
believe it is called OFF). I think this should work.

Greetings

Mathias

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011