HB-GRAL wrote

-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:flightg...@sablonier.ch]
Sent: 25 February 2012 19:49
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] gpl scenery

Hi Syd

Am 25.02.12 17:04, schrieb syd adams:
> I use Aerodrome charts for reference , and then modify the existing
> scenery tiles by the measurements written on those charts. Ive used
> Qgis with shapefiles from a canadian wms server as a background image
> to  tweak the shapefiles from http://mapserver.flightgear.org/ .I
> assumed these were non-gpl work habits so never bothered offering to
> submit them.

When you're referencing NAV CANADA charts here, I fear this charts and your
work can't be published under GPL terms, because you don't get this charts
for free and commercial use is prohibited explicitly.

I think you are over-doing this one. If the charts are just used as a
reference or source, and not republished in some way, then the 3d model
produced is analogous to the 3d model of an aircraft produced with reference
to 3 view drawings. Syd is only using them to check the positions of parts
of his work. Syd's finished work is original, the copyright is owned by him,
and can have any licence he cares to give it IMO.

BTW - if I am wrong - then almost all the work on all our 3d models cannot
be GPL.

Vivian