Am 09.04.12 23:31, schrieb Ron Jensen:
> On Monday 09 April 2012 15:05:58 Torsten Dreyer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> what is our current policy for updates to nav.dat? Do we commit changes
>> to the binary gzip'ed file or do we have a central repository for the data?
>>
>> Would it make sense to have the unzip'ed file in git and zip it for the
>> release in "make dist"?
>>
>> Torsten
>
> I think it would be a great idea to gunzip nav.dat and apt.dat in git.
>
> Ron

Hi Torsten

As far as I know we are able to switch to apt.dat 850 version the next
weeks, including a lot of updates. Recently I’m using it to produce new
OSM test scenery for bolivia.

The 850 data is updated by xplane contributors every month, and it’s a
busy place. I prepared a diff for the old flightgear 810 version airport
updates to verify if we might loose changes made in flightgear apt.dat
the last years (changes which never have come to the official apt.dat of
xplane I guess).

apt.dat has an update cycle of 30 days, not half a year. I don’t know
how this data could become some kind of "live/online" data acquisition
for flightgear instead of distributing the whole file with official
releases. Maybe terrasync should sync this file too?

And another point might be that recent apt.dat is 90 mb uncompressed. I
don’t know what might happen to this big file in git and if changes are
still browsable in a good matter. That’s why I prepared a git repo for
apt.dat airport by airport as a proposal, to verify changes i.e. by
ICAO. You can find it here (contains only 810 data changes by flightgear
contributors, to compare with recent 850 data):
https://code.google.com/p/flightgear-world-scenery/source/browse/#git%2Ftools%2Fapt-extractor%2F032012-diff

To compare you can click on "diff" top right, i.e.:
https://code.google.com/p/flightgear-world-scenery/source/diff?spec=svne058cce0c457cfe7e7dd079d5d693766d8e26e48&r=038ed45b210b19481bee8c1bf2d97044910ff5a1&format=side&path=/tools/apt-extractor/032012-diff/EBBL_850.dat&old_path=/tools/apt-extractor/032012-diff/EBBL_850.dat&old=9366cde3894c295e64783c184a06b12d79e19352

Here you can verify if it’s still worth to commit flightgear community
changes to xplane apt.dat or not, probably.

(Sorry to post this google urls, this repo don’t have to be on google
code, I just prepared that there to make an example.)

Cheers, Yves