Am 20.08.12 16:18, schrieb Curtis Olson:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 4:40 AM, HB-GRAL <flightg...@sablonier.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi Curt and mirrors
>>
>> I can’t download the OSX release from your servers. It’s always broken
>> around +- 450 Mb.
>

> What tool (browser, app?) are you using to download flightgear?  In the
> past we have run into some browsers that simply croaked on larger files.
>   If this is common to a specific browser or download app it would be good
> to make note of that so we can warn people and suggest an alternative.  I
> know the google chrome and firefox are pretty solid choices for downloading
> big files.  Sometimes it's just the local internet that's a problem and
> isn't stable for long enough stretches to download such big files.

Hi Curt

I have really stable and good connections here and I use Firefox and
Chrome. But maybe I’m a spoilt web child with this, and maybe there have
been to many connections and there will be no problem right now. I tried
to use a mirror, but then I got some 15k drops from the german mirror
and just gave up for the moment ;-)

>> But anyway, I don’t know if it is worth to care about
>> this download, the Mac release seems to be broken at all,
>

> James has pushed through a fix for 10.6.x I believe and we are waiting for
> someone to test it and give feedback before pushing it up to the wide world.

I have been asked by James today to test it and I will do so. And it’s
not 10.6 only, the release was broken for all osx versions AFAIK. This
will need some time, and all what I see is that the download link in the
download central still exists. I would recommend to remove this links
not for today only, give it some 2-3 days from now on. I thought this
could be removed immediately in case of such accidents, because people
will still try to download ... that’s why I sent this message to the
list. But I don’t want to show just some overreaction and it’s not up to
me to make such decisions.

>> there is a
>> problem with subversion linking reported from many users at forums (this
>> is the heavy change to be compatible with OSX 10.8, I know, it’s boring
>> and I also know James is working very hard on this).
>>

> I wouldn't call it boring, but not everyone owns a Mac running 10.8 -- I
> think that's a pretty small club right now (growing of course, but there
> are still some people out there running 10.5, and I have 10.6 on my little
> iMac.)

I meant APPLE is boring, not flightgear, not including subversion libs
anymore. I pointed that out with FGx some weeks ago and prepared a
release candidate with subversion included. Behind the scenes a
discussion started with James and others which subversion should be
included for the mac release and James prepared a new solution (for FGx
I use the apple open source subversion libs, James has another one, I
will follow I guess for consistency reasons).

Now releasing the mac version immediately without any candidates and
without any testing is in responsability of the release team of course.
I don’t know who made this decision following strictly a controlled
release plan with the mac version. I just wanted to point out that the
result is that forums got flushed immediately with bad publicity for the
mac version. I’d only ask the release team to think about such a
decision. I know other software where the release date sometimes is
suspended some days, better having a really stable release. Overall it
was clear that the mac version distribution will undergo a not so easy
change this time.

> But is it worth just to kick out a release directly with heavy changes
>> in distribution, without any testing and candidates before? I will
>> really help to test and unfortunately I didn’t find the time the last
>> days because of other work. And I’m willing to help users at forums and
>> everywhere, but not without having some time for testing and another
>> schedule, which is always widely accepted by OSX users btw. (see history
>> of 2.0/2.4/2.6 macflightgear releases).
>>

> It's never fun to run into issues like this the hard way.  But we have a
> published plan that we were/are operating from.  Again, different
> developers run different systems so we depend on each other to cover
> different areas of expertise.  We are continually updating the plan and the
> process and fixes for MacOSX that we discover in this cycle will hopefully
> feed into the next cycle so that each time is a little smoother than
> before.  One issue this time around was that Tat was out of town for most
> of the critical weeks leading up to the release so James jumped in to try
> to get the release package working and spent a huge amount of time trying
> to add support for 10.8.  Not only is our own code evolving and improving,
> but the systems we support can also be a rapidly moving target.
>
> So I will personally apologize for any issues on the MacOSX front this time
> around, clearly we hit a couple glitches, but everyone is working hard and
> we will get this all sorted out soon I think -- and sorted out in a way
> that will make future releases and future release candidates much easier to
> deal with.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Curt.

I’m far from blaming anyone for every work that have been done. I know
that James is working very hard and I stayed always in contact and tried
to give feedback. I spent also hours in compiling and testing FlightGear
for OSX the last couple of months. I have been asked by a core team
member some weeks ago to help with support for the mac version and not
to concentrate to "my own" FGx osx version only. I hope that the release
team will take into account that the mac release needs always RCs, just
publishing a release directly might cause a lot of work and might give a
lot of bad publicity.

But anyway, I state all this as a small wheel in this project, and I
will not stop my help this great project of course. I love FlightGear
and the 2.8 release will be a really nice and good piece for OSX too,
that’s for sure :-)

Thanks
Yves