Hi all

I already wrote a small baby python script which converts apt.dat into
flightgear readable xml. Now I started a new project for importing the
same data to Postgres/PostGIS tables for my map development. Currently I
can create runway polygons with all associated data this way with
(flightgear future version) apt.dat 1000. But it will work with apt.dat
850 too I guess, only 810 is out of scope now.

I decided to write an own import script using geographiclib and
psycopg2. My current dev map is based on postgres 9.1.5/PostGIS
2.0.1/mapnik 2.1 and tilecache 2.11, and still under development. We
plan to use it as base for a new multiplayer map proposal, and a new FGx
inline map of course.

If someone can give me the database structure needed for official
flightgear scenery map meantime, or better, help to improve the script
to fit flightgear database needs I guess this scripts could replace the
former ogr2ogr driver import (which I guess is not followed anymore, but
just a guess). If you’re familiar with python, sql and PostGIS you’re
welcomed anytime to help to improve the scripts.

First tests of the runways geometry created looks very good, albeit you
will discover issues of apt.dat immediately on a current map, or maybe
also issues of OSM or google maps, yes ;-)

-Yves