Hi,

On Saturday, October 20, 2012 18:10:42 Thomas Geymayer wrote:
> recently I've been asked by the FGRadar developers if we could modify
> the canvas system such that it can be reused in other applications and
> we can all work on a single and stable implementation, instead of a
> separate implementation for each single application. I think thats I
> good idea and I want to take any opportunity to get the canvas better
> and usable for more applications. As some of you have noticed I've
> already done some preparation work by moving FGODGauge to SimGear.
Take care of the license.
I have seen this is already under the headless option.
Also once it is in simgear It should be really multi viewer/threading capable.
Everything that is not, might be changed at some time to match this criterion.
Such a change often comes with changes in the behavior that are not strictly
needed but where people started relying on at some time. So better think about
that at the first time.

> Now the question is if this is the best way, and the canvas should get
> part of  SimGear or another solution would be better? I'm not quite
> sure what belongs to FlightGear and what should go into SimGear
> instead. The canvas is something that could also be useful to other
> applications as it's basically just an offscreen rendertarget for 2D
> drawing. Any opinions?
No application logic should be there. That's the cut. Anything that is an
application decision should not end there.
Also if there is stuff that is used by multiple applications it's a good
candidate for simgear.

Also the scenegraph should not have any self propagating state. State should
be kept in the application logic. That means the scenegraph should only
contain a plain description what is being displayed but not what can happen
next. This is one of the parts which ease multithreading.

Also it would be nice if the state of the canvas can be serialized easily and
with only little data into an other application. That is to be able to set up
multiple viewer applications all displaying the same content. Think of an mfd
that is shown in a bigger multi viewer environment. This should be efficient.
How to achieve this efficiently requires a lot of thought.

Greetings

Mathias