On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM,  John wrote:
> Yes,  your are correct it you run a single instance of fg with three
> displays with whichever scheme you use; e.g. using the XML file to create a
> left, center, and right camera for the scene or one of the video splitters
> to break a single large camera into three channels for each display.
>
> However, if you run an instance of fg using, for example, the center as the
> master FDM, then create two "slave" fg's using the FDM=NULL option for each
> left and right instance each instance starts with a different random seed.
> This occurs whether you run all three instances on a single CPU or, as in
> our case, each instance on a single core of a multi-core machine since each
> instance creates it's own scene graph.  The advantage of the multi-core
> machine is performance limited only by the bandwidth of the busses and
> graphics pipelines and GPUs.  have not really drilled down just where or
> what are the limiting factors using a multi-core machine with multiple video
> cards;  just know it is faster based on fps for each core versus running
> everything on a single core machine.  The disadvantage is many of the
> dynamic features like clouds, AI traffic, etc are not sync'd across
> processes.
>
> Jan Comans solved the problem by using a *fixed* random seed ( another
> oxymoron ;-) ) for the 3d clouds at least.

As mentioned elsewhere, I've just committed a time-based random seed
for cloud generation to fix this in origin/next.  Please let me know
how you get on.

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Torsten Dreyer wrote:
> just one more note about multi-displays on a single machine: With our
> four cards driving eight displays at 1600x1200, the 3d clouds appear
> seamless across the individual displays and they work fine when clouds
> are scattered or few and you stay well clear of the clouds. When a cloud
> starts occupying a big part of one or more screens, there is a massive
> drop in frame rate, down to unusability.
> The same hardware runs smooth with 60fps (synced to vblank) in any
> situation with just a single display.

I think that's just a side-effect of having so many pixels covered by
(multiple) quads with alpha.  I'm not sure there's much we can do
about that, unless we somehow start dropping sprites.  I'll have a
think - 3D cloud perf has always been a big challenge.

-Stuart