Hi, in just about one month from now we are entering another round of the release process, starting with the four weeks feature freeze period. This is probably a good time to check in all the great and fancy new features that still hide in your local branches. I'd also like to see JSBSim synced before December, 17th.
How should we call our new baby? Is it 3.0.0 or is it 2.10.0? This is a carry-over from our last release and gets answered along with: "Is Rembrandt production ready?" I'd also like to use the remaining four weeks to walk through the "Lessons Learned" section of our Release Plan (http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Release_Plan#Lessons_learned) Somebody was kind enough to add a few points worth thinking about: 1. A lack of stress testing. We have a four weeks testing period with release binaries publically available, so I am not sure how to improve that. Do we need more testers? Do we need more time? 2. Lack of graceful feature scaling. Is this really something we can solve in the release process? 3. Change of the NOAA METAR url Also, this is more a bug or feature request than an issue with the release process 4. broken OSX downloads Yes - we need to improve the OSX builds. Does Jenkins provide stable binaries or do we still need a manual build provided by James or Tat? 5. Irritation caused by code signing Probably same as 4.? 6. GLSL errors Probably just a special case of 1. 7. Missing files in the Windows build Probably just a special case of 1. 8. Write the changelog ASAP Yes - That can easily start right now. As it is just a simple wiki page, please contribute to http://wiki.flightgear.org/Changelog_3.0.0 9. Lifting the code freeze for certain new features. As a clarification: We do not enter a code freeze but a feature freeze. Code changes are welcome after December 17th as long as it is guaranteed (not just "unlikely") that they do not introduce any side effects and become a release blocker. It is the sole responsibility of the commiter to decide if that is the case or not. Every new feature that didn't make it into the respository by the deadline may probably easily wait for another four weeks to get commited. Remember: most aircraft are not affected by the feature freeze and aircraft developers quickly adopt and use new features as they become available. 10. Updating the wiki w.r.t. hardware recommendations Yes - this is a task for everybody. Last, but not least: Will we be able to create release binaries for our three major platforms automatically and probably release candidates for them on a regular schedule (e.g. once a week) from the same code base using the same pre-release version number? Thanks for reading that awfully long post ;-) Torsten ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a single web console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases, vmware, SAP, cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial. Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications! http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov _______________________________________________ Flightgear-devel mailing list Flightgearemail@example.com https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flightgear-devel