So, I finally broke down over the weekend, getting so frustrated with a the GPU
not powering up under Linux that I installed FG on Windows.

If I want to get FG last stable under Fedora 17, I have to compile it myself,
only 2.6 is on the repo. The process is probably similar to compiling current
GIT. Which took me more than 5 hours to get right, which means a normal user
can't do it. I frequently use compilers, know the FG structure, can read
scripting language, know RPMfinder and other tools... my wife is a normal Linux
user who never in her life compiled anything.

The problem isn't the obvious things - the problem are the implied things. Like
cmake warns about libsvn not being installed and being needed for Terrasync.
Now, I happen to know what Terrasync is, I also happen to know what libsvn is
for, my wife doesn't. Searching on the 'Add software' tool for libsvn draws a
blank, but I know that it stands for subversion, so I find it.

I install boost, yet cmake throws an error that it can't find config files -
WTF, I just installed it... Wait a minute, there's a different package which
contains cmake support for boost, maybe if I install that as well? In the end,
cmake runs through, but the compiler then bitches about its inability to find
libXmu (or so)? So, I know what to do, I look for the lib in /usr/lib64, see
what the name is. open CmakeCache.txt, look by what name cmake wants the lib to
be identified, pass that as explicit parameter to cmake - voila, it finally
compiles.

Then I had the funny directory issues I metioned , but that was just me trying
to do user install instead of system wide - self-inflicted, one might say.

If anyone believes that a normal Linux user can install last stable FG this
way, he's kidding himself. For Ubuntu, there's the download and compile script,
I don't know how good that is and what it assumes about packages being
installed - but since the package manager is different, sure doesn't work on
Fedora.

Now, I installed FG on  windows. One package, double-click, I don't even need
to know if I am on Windows Vista or Windows 7, one click to select the 64bit
version, 30 seconds later I am on the runway. Want current GIT instead of 2.8.5
- no problem, just copied the 64bit binaries from Jenkins, copied my FGData,
and I'm seeing the state of my latest merge request (copying 6.3 GB was the
only delay here).

Please don't get this wrong - I'm a Linux person to the bone. I like xterm,
using command lines, the ability to see configuration files directly, the
ability to use commands which actually do what I tell, and desktops free of
'Your computer is at risk!' and other attention-grabbing messages very much.
But... why?

Why do I need to make a song and dance to get the last stable under Linux when
it works no fuss under Windows? Are we genuinely unable to provide a working
generic 32 and a 64bit set of binaryies for Linux? I know that lib paths and
versions are different across distribtions, but can't one simply compile the
thing static? Of course it'll be much larger, but I have a 1 TB harddisk which
is 10% full after I copied every last mp3 and movie from external storage
device onto it - I don't mind if the binary is 20 times the size.

I am genuinely at a loss here. A normal Linux user has practically no change to
get last stable on his box running if it isn't in his distro - a normal Windows
user gets everything nice and streamlined.

Does anyone else understand this?

* Thorsten