On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:39:42 +0000, Renk wrote in message
<e495a106ff5f31448739e79d34138c191e169...@mbs1.ad.jyu.fi>:

> > No it doesn't. There's nothing preventing us from providing
> > packages for older distribution versions.
>
> This sounds very neat, and if this works in practice, then I take my
> comment back - being able to get an rpm for any major Linux
> distribution would be equivalent to the Windows installer in terms of
> usability.

..the best way to get there, is build upon scripts like:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Compilation_on_Linux_Debian/Ubuntu
and http://geoffair.net/fg/ ...

...like http://wiki.flightgear.org/CentOS does, and build deb, rpm etc
distro packages, rather than just build binaries out of the sources.

..in the Debian, Ubuntu etc world, .deb packages can be built like:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/using-checkinstall-build-packages-source
or http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/build.en.html
from http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html

..for rpm, I recommend reading the output of 'man rpmbuild'.

.._sometimes_, deb, rpm etc packages can be converted to other distro
packaging formats with /usr/bin/alien, details in 'man alien', this
approach may fail on e.g. Ubuntu developers disagreeing with Debian
.deb packaging policy, or a rpm database not seeing conflicts coming
with a .deb binary, checkinstall may help you solve those conflicts.

..some guys are just plain lucky, e.g.
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_Flightgear_-_Gentoo

..these build scripts can also be packaged as e.g. deb, rpm etc
"meta-packages" that can be used to e.g. set up a build server.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: