So, some of my impressions of how FG runs on the GeForce 670M (Windows).

* in default terrain (I did Nevada, going with the F-16 from KNID to KLSV), all
procedural effects in atmospheric light scattering on, some snow on the Sierra
Nevada, 120 km max. visibility range, some Cirrus cloud development I got most
of the time the framerate indicator locked at 60 fps with dead-constant frame
spacing even at 30.000 ft with full visibility range. Occasionally it drops to
30 fps and stays locked there for 10 seconds or so, then jumps up. I don't know
if the card needs a cooling break now and then or if it's something else, but
it's not affecting the experience at all.

* going to Canaima (SVCN) with dense jungle (vegetation cover to 2) and noon
convective cloud development with the A-10, low level flying over treetops and
up to 15.000 ft to get the view - same story - the trees just go by at 60 fps,
occasionally clocking down to 30. I would not have thought this possible at all.

* really extreme testing, France custom scenery with the F14 from Lyon into the
Alps, normal convective clouds drawn to 75 km, 120 km visibility range with
trees to 2. Framerate stays most of the time locked at 30 fps, occasionally
drops to values between 20 and 30, especially when I pass by a cloud. According
to my estimates, the memory usage must have been into the 10 GB range with so
many trees and terrain generated over such a huge area in custom scenery, and
after 15 minutes or so I did notice the occasional freak frame of 0.3 seconds
length or so - that was probably when I started digging into swap space. Custom
scenery with high visibility and dense tree cover looks quite stunning - I've
never been able to run that before.

As Alexis said, the elephant in the room are the clouds - overcast skies render
almost as slow as on my old box, which is quite surprise to me. But that
implies that if I ever get the GPU to run properly under Linux, I need to focus
on making cloud shaders faster, there's no problem with the terrain shaders and
procedural textures which a modern GPU can't handle. I did not sufficiently
appreciate this point before.

Both a LOD range system to ease the vertex load and the tracers to ease the
fragment shader load will help here. I did abandon tracers since my main
motivation was to ease the load from terrain rendering if obscured by clouds,
but if terrain isn't the real problem, then they are useful because they do
work for clouds. So not all hope is lost, I just need to experiment and see
what operation exactly causes the bottleneck.

I've also flagged a few issues:

* I've spent 5 minutes puzzling over why the terrain isn't displayed out to the
horizon till I remembered that I have to adjust LOD bare. What do the LOD
ranges do these days? Should we simply couple LOD bare with visibility
settings, assuming that a user who sets visibility to 100 km also wants to see
terrain to 100 km? I've had at least one support request per email who had the
same problem a while ago.

* strange bug - all generated clouds (on Linux and Wndows) used only one
texture of a multi-texture sheet, which gives some odd repetitions. This may be
something trivial (my binary and FGData snapshots are a few days apart) so if
there's been work on clouds in the mean time it could explain it. Or something
with the gl_MultiTextureCoord isn't set up properly in an architecture
dependent way. Or I messed up the Nasal and didn't realize it on the old
computer. Does anyone else see this?

* urban shader effect slider in Lightfield is stuck at 3 - no idea why. But the
detailed shader control menu has been behaving odd in a number of ways and
thrown Nasal errors - I think Gijs created it (?) - if you could take a look?

* Restarting Advanced Weather seems to have a timing issue for really high
framerates. The problem is that Nasal storage arrays are removed with a time
delay as to allow loops in the current frame to terminate properly, but then
you can't restart the system before the arrays are removed, otherwise it
creates arrays in the restart which are removed on cleanup later, so there's a
time delay in restarting the system which should allow the system to clean
before restart. Works fine with 20 fps, apparently doesn't with 60, no idea
why. Anyone else seeing this? Restarting the weather in pause mode does the
trick, but I'll have to adjust the time constant I guess.

* Thorsten