On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 16:29:49 +0200, Adrian wrote in message
<201212131629.50248.kanto...@gmail.com>:

> On Thursday, December 13, 2012 15:04:16 Renk Thorsten wrote:
>

> > Somewhat related to the above - *if* the radio propagation model
> > could be shown to be more realistic - what framerate loss would
> > this be worth as compared to a faster, less realistic model? And
> > does this question matter at all if this is implemented optionally
> > - should not the user decide this?
> >

> Hi Thorsten, Torsten, all,
>
> Regarding the performance, you are correct, the user can decide on
> what to spend the CPU cycles.
> But for the sake of documenting this issue, I have performed a test:
>

> The test is performed in standard condition: on ground, all terrain
> finished loading, visibility set to 40 miles, LOD range bare 60000
> meters, 3 stations tuned, each at limit of loaded terrain, approx 100
> km medium distance to them. First image shows subsystem enabled,
> second shows subsystem disabled. I have highlighted with red the
> relevant areas in the images. As always, click for details.
>
> http://wiki.flightgear.org/File:Radio-perf7b.png  Radio subsystem
> enabled. http://wiki.flightgear.org/File:Radio-perf9b.png  Radio
> subsystem disabled. Notice DME indication has appeared.
>
> In both cases, the FPS observed was 39. In long flight tests, the FPS
> difference is more like 3-5 from disabled to enabled.
>
> Now, regarding terrain influence, modes of propagation, and clutter
> influence on diffraction at different frequencies, you can observe
> the details on the upper left of the images. I won't get into details
> anymore, because I have done that already in a couple of messages.
>
> If anyone wishes to add more information on the subject of
> performance, I invite you to use the wiki page:
>  http://wiki.flightgear.org/Talk:Radio_propagation
>
> I'm open to any other technical questions regarding the radio
> propagation algorithms used.

..maybe add a commandline suggestion so we can hope to "compare
apples with apples and pears with pears" etc?
Without a commandline suggestion, you pile up all sorts of
irrelevant factors such as "which runway you took off from"
etc, whereby you may load a different set of tiles, _etc_.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: