On Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:44:00 Torsten Dreyer wrote:
> Hi
> - Performance
> The most important limiting factor for radio propagation on VHF and up
> is question "line of sight" or "obscured by terrain".

Hi again Torsten,
Apologising for keeping this subject up, but I rather enjoy technical
discussions, especially based on tested mathematical models and data gathered
in the field. Here is what technical knowledge has to say about "line-of-
sight" at VHF (or even higher frequencies):

### Terrain features, and buildings, usually attenuate signals.  (NB in some
circumstances knife edge diffraction can enhance propagation beyond the
horizon)### (from http://goo.gl/1la6M )

You can read more about Longley Rice there, especially the part where "Longley
Rice has been adopted as a standard by the FCC".

Now for real data gathered by me in the field, which is consistent with ITM
plots generated for the same locations.
Case #1:
Have one radio repeater station on 145 MHz, completely obstructed by a
mountain edge. Distance between repeater site and mountain edge: ~40 km.
As determined by me, acceptable and readable signal was present as low as 500
meters below the mountain edge: single horizon diffraction case. The mountain
edge had no vegetation.

Case #2:
Have one radio repeater station on 440 MHz, completely obstructed by a
mountain edge. Distance between repeater site and mountain edge: ~50 km.
As determined by me, acceptable and readable signal was present as low as 300
meters below the mountain edge: single horizon diffraction case. The mountain
edge had no vegetation.

In both cases, no line of sight was ever present between the mobile station
and the fixed station, and reflection was not possible. All signal was
received from diffraction.
Double horizon diffraction is possible too, depending on many factors,
including how much power are you pumping into the transmitter.
Sidney Shumate's improvements to the ITM, published in the latest IEEE
Broadcast society newsletters, make this model the most reliable for irregular
terrain. Unfortunately his modifications have a non commercial clause, but you
can download, compile and test against the classic versions. Diffraction
results will coincide with physical data gathered even more.

I think we can close the "optical line-of-sight" debate now.

Cheers,
Adrian