> If something exists and works in the default scheme, but is missing or does
> not work in a child scheme then that child scheme is broken or we might say
> that there is a regression.

Which all would be relevant if it would be a child scheme - which it isn't.

>The solution was obvious - combine the Fresnel and
> Rainbow look-up textures into 1 texture. A few trivial changes - job done.
> Of more interest, we could, and probably should, do something similar for
> almost any complex math function.

That depends on the complexity. To compute the rainbow is a rotation in color
space - GPU's have hardware acceleration to do the job and this computes way
faster than looking up a texture. A typical Fresnel curve can probably be
parametrized by a polynomial - if so, again that'd be way faster than a texture
lookup.

In no test case I've studied so far was a texture lookup superior to function
evaluation - exponentials, combinations of sine functions or even the
generalized logistic function computes way faster than a texture lookup.
Akenine-Moller 'Real Time Rendering' also confirms that on modern GPUs
functions evaluate typically faster than texture lookups. Plus, you can
evaluate a function only when needed, whereas you must evaluate a texture.

Unless the function is an integral, I don't see the need to introduce yet more
texture lookups. I have indicated my plan to replace this by a functionsfor
better performance  in ALS and will do so in the mid-term - you may disregard
my experiences at your pleasure.

Best,

* Thorsten