> > You CAN help.  Can you start by describing the flight condition that
> > leads to the yaw oscillation?  I'll need to reproduce this same flight
> > condition so I can see what's happening first.
>
> I'm speaking from near-ignorance because I have zero experience with
> transport jets, but don't they often have a lot of yaw oscillation?  I
> thought that was why the yaw-damper was always on, even when the pilot
> was hand-flying.  Once on the radio, I did hear a big jet (don't
> remember the type) declare an emergency and return to the airport
> because it lost its yaw damper.

All of the ones I'm familiar with need a yaw damper, but they'll fly
"adequately" without one.  If the yaw damper quits enroute you can continue
as long as you avoid certain flight regimes as specified in the flight
manual.  Of course there may be exceptions.  It usually more of a problem at
high altitude, which makes me wonder if that big jet's main problem was that
it didn't have enough fuel to get to it's destination at the restricted
altitude, so they called the flight off and declared the emergency for a very
overweight landing.

But that's just a wild guess :)

Dave