Vivian Meazza wrote:

Yes, of course. But if many Winodows users (even with very common
hardware) can't use FGFS anymore then we've lost multiplatform.

Certainly there would be a problem if we were to use cutting edge stuff from
OpenAl or OpenGL etc., before updated drivers are available from Realtec or
Nvidia, and of course there is the danger that very old cards will be left
behind. But to run FGFS (or any other current flightsim) you need reasonably
up-to-date and capable hardware.

When using the Creative OpenAL drivers there is always a fallback driver that either uses DirectSound, Direct3D or EAX. SO pretty much everybody should be able to use it, even with ancient hardware.

Erik