Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:
My computer is a ThinkPad X31 with Pentium-M 1.4G CPU and ATI Radeon
Mobility M6 LY.

The frame rate for glxgears is 225 fps with rather
low CPU usage.

What I was told is that slow framerate on ATI cards in Linux is a driver issue. About the only thing people like you and I can do is wait for a fix from the DRI developers.

My ATI 9100 IGP gets 2500 frames in 5 sec / 518 FPS. That's with the Linux Xorg drivers.

A friend of mine who has an ATI Mobility M9 in his machine gets over
6000 frames in 5 sec (over 1200fps) using the Linux ATI proprietary drivers.

The proprietary ATI driver, available from their website
http://www.ati.com works for just about every recent ATI card.  The only
one it doesn't work for is (you guessed it) the 9100 IGP (there's a
little note about it in the middle of the release notes docs).

I suggest you go and get the ATI proprietary driver and install it.  If
you need help with that I'm happy to offer advice; send me an off-list
message.

Cheers,
Josh

--