Mike Rawlins wrote:

Upon further review, I seem to understand the NDB
approach, and the AP waypoint GUI accepts GPS
waypoints . Regarding these approaches, from what I
can tell, it's all about the MDA and MAP!

A message on the developers group from Feb 2003
mentions a DME radio, but I can't seem to figure out
where this is on the radio stack.

DME has it's own frequency, but it is normally slaved to the
VOR receiver's channel.  A VORTAC has a VOR transmitter and a DME
transponder at the same location (also has a TACAN, but that's
for military use only.)  So, if you set the NAV receiver for a
nearby VORTAC, the DME will automatically pick up the
associated DME transponder.  (It is possible for the DME
to lock onto a more distant DME transponder on the same channel,
but that is a rarity except at high altitude.)

In aircraft that have remote DME indicators, there is no
"DME radio".  It is a hidden black box, slaved to the NAV
channel, and readion distance on the remote indicator dial.
On some older aircraft, there actually was a DME box,
with the distance indicator, as well as some controls and
a light that indicated it was receiving a response from a
transponder.

Jon