Mike Rawlins wrote:
A google search on flightgear and frame rate gave me a
posting that suggested trying these options that have
been shown to increase frame rate by ~300% (over
default settings, as tested on SGI):

--control=mouse
--disable-intro-music
--disable-random-objects
--disable-sound
--disable-hud-3d
--disable-specular-highlight
--fog-fastest
--model-hz=60
--geometry=800x600
--visibility=10000.0
--fov=50

--prop:/sim/rendering/static-lod/detailed=500
--prop:/sim/rendering/static-lod/rough=5000
--prop:/sim/rendering/static-lod/bare=15000
--prop:/environment/clouds/layer[1]/coverage="clear"
--log-level=alert

After doing some testing on the first group above, I note that the geometry seems to be the only parameter that increases frame rate for me. I had been using --geometry=1400x1020 on my Dell laptop (1.4 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA card), giving about 7 fps on runway. Using 800x600 increases rate to just over 20 fps. I'm wondering if the other ones (specular-highlight, random-objects, model-hz) are known to cause big differences in frame rate.

A difference in framerate due to Specular highlight and/or random objects depends on the Video chipset (GPU) whether it makes a difference or not.

A difference in framerate due to changes in the model-hz depends on the main processor (CPU). I would not recommend using this option unless it _really_ makes a difference.

Also, what about the second group (--prop:)?  I really
don't understand them too much.

It specifies the complexity of static scenery models at three different stages (Level Of Detail; LOD). Setting them to lower numbers should increase the framerate and setting the numbers higher would improve visible accuracy.

The last of those specify not to display any cloud cover.

Lastly, should the following work to show frame rate on startup? Didn't work for me and gave no error:

--prop:/sim/hud/draw-fps="true"

This is only for showing the framerate in the alternative HUD.

Erik