* Laurie Bradshaw -- Monday 20 June 2005 13:59:
> Once you've worked out how the os you're using sees your joystick (name,
> button & axis numbers), you can simply copy an existing joystick xml, open it
> in a text editor, change the <name></name> tag to match your joystick, and
> configure the buttons and axis as required (copy and paste from existing
> files, change the button/axis numbers to suit).

Exactly, whereby the name can be obtained by running "js_demo(.exe)".
However ...

> Once you're happy with it,
> make sure to add a <js-named include="Input/Joysticks/CH/name_of_your.xml"/>
> to joysticks.xml in the flightgear root.

... this isn't necessary/possible in the upcoming v0.9.9 (or cvs/head).
Here saving the file somewhere in $FG_ROOT/Input/Joysticks/ is enough for
fgfs to pick it up. Consider to submit configs for which we don't have
a driver yet.

Also, there's no default js on a fixed position in the next version.
Rather: the joystick driver with <name>default</name> is used as default.
(Could be changed if this turns out to be problematic for some reason.
But nobody complained yet. :-)

m.