Geoff wrote:
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:19:00 +0000
AJ MacLeod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thursday 08 December 2005 20:56, Geoff wrote:

Slighty OT I guess, but I am moved to ask whether anyone
sees hard lockups using the linux nVidia driver?

Not really, no...

It sounds to me like it might be a hardware problem,
possibly memory but could be anything (including a dodgy
graphics card.)  Making sure all your AGP and PCI cards
are properly seated, running memtest overnight are a few
things you could maybe try.  Hardware problems can be
annoyingly difficult to track down unfortunately.

I have the same card (or it might be a MX420, I can never
remember which) and don't suffer from that kind of lock
up.

You're not trying to run it too fast or anything like
that?

Thanks for that.

No I am not overclocking, and I have done the memtest,
checked the seating, kept my AGP multiplier low, and done
everything else I can think of.  I bought the passively
cooled version of the card because I do like as quiet a
system a possible and the smp was already running two cpu
fans.  Apart from some defect in the chips, my theory has
always been that the card is maybe running too hot under
heavy load.

Geoff
I directed a ventilator towards my GeForce2 passively cooled chip. I used a big (for power supplies) and silent ventilator and I feed it with 5 Volts instead of 12 Volts. That doesn't make a lot of wind but enough to cool the heat sink down completely. It is virtually noiseless. Picture at http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/ventilator.geforce2.jpg

Another possibility: did you check the power supply tensions under load? When images load in Firefox, for example. Old power supplies often become unstable and account for many ghostly problems.

Cheers,
Eric