On 11/09/11 14:06, David wrote:
> DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.  INSTEAD, POST ANY RESPONSES TO THE LINK BELOW.
> Link: http://www.fltk.org/str.php?L2766
> Version: 1.3-feature
>
> This change allows someone to configure FLTK to use 0x0F as the symbol
> prefix character instead of @.  This allows the use of @ without special
> handling which can be troublesome since internal widgets use @ for things
> like arrows and special characters.  To enable support for the new prefix
> you'd run ./configure with the --enable-newprefix option (you may have to
> remake the configure first, "make clean" seems to do that for you).

        I like the idea of being able to change or disable the symbol prefix
char,
        I don't think it works as a config option. (For instance, this would
break
        in a dll environment, where the user's system would have stock fltk
dlls)

        I'd offer this alternative suggestion: to retain back compatibility
        with old apps, but allow new apps to still use/change/disable symbols,
        I could see creating two new api calls; Fl::symbol_char() and
Fl::symbol_str():

Fl::symbol_char(0);                             // disables symbols throughout
FLTK app
Fl::symbol_char('@');                           // sets the symbol char
(default)
Fl::symbol_char(0x0f);                          // sets symbol char to 0x0f
char c = Fl::symbol_char();                     // gets the current symbol char
std::string rightarrow = Fl::symbol_str("->");  // get an FLTK symbol string

        This way if the symbol char is default (@), Fl::symbol_str("->")
        would return "@->", but if the symbol char were 0, Fl::symbol_str("->")
        would return "".