Thanks for yours awswers

>Apparently the soundfonts I used were not polyphonic enough

>Using FluidR3_GM.sf2 the cpu load looks better, but I'm yet quite far from the
>"perfect" scalability that your profiling interface gives you JJC.

Effectivelly, your machine is fast and in this case playing MIDI file to
simulate a notes (voices) generator isn't not efficient. This is why the
profiling interface have is own notes generator (but it is still limited to 256
x 16  notes !).

The most important is that fluidsynth are able to play constant number of
voices during measurement. This gives consecutives measurement the same cpu
load result. This makes any future performances measurements easily much more
predictive.

Note:During my experiment, initially i have noticed that result between
consecutives measurement was not constant. Quickly, i realized that a backgroud
process was running. The job of this process was to economize energy . It was
doing this by stealing cpu cycle!. Of course any performance measurement aren'
possible with this kind of jobs or services running silently behind the scene.

>Additionally I want to revise the current implementation, like using a
>parallel logarithmic buffer reduction to mix audio between threads or
>rethinking data layout and memory accesses in general, >hoping this makes it
>more efficient.

Interresting. Looking the code (in the past) i have noticed that a lot of
things perhaps could be enhanced arround the following subject:

1) avoiding mutual access to the "active list of voices" between  "primary
tasks" and the pool of "extra tasks".

   - breaking the unique list in local list for each task.

   - load balancing (same number of voices in each local list).

2) optimizing mixing of buffers between "primary" task and "extra task" (to
avoid actual possible synchronization overhead domination).

3) optimizing fluid_cond_signal(), fluid_cond_wait() each time the associated
mutex is pointless.

Of course all this is easier to say than to do :).

jjc