Merci Bien Bertrand--

        vous avez droit (et  vous avez aussi le droit!)

        (you are right--and you you also have the right)

        a month or so ago I fwded to the fluxlist the announcement that
preparatins are begun for the preparation of ar t be dne in space

        in the account i read, however, artists were not invited as
consultants-- only academic experts

         a number of Paul Virilio's books have considered the
interelationship of the visual arts with the military, primarily in the
fields of photography and film making
        WAR AND CINEMA for example, and as well most of his works--in his
book on the bunkers of the Normandy coast which were bulit by the Germans
during World War 11, he examines the artistic/military situation of the
ruins of war, those architectures left behind--in French it is called
BUNKER ARCHEOLOGIE
        and has many wonderful and mysterious photos of the disappearing
structures

        (these and some of Virilio's work remind me of works and essays by
the Earthworks artists/essayist Robert Smithson)

        (see also Virilio's books THE AESTHETICS OF DISAPPEARANCE and THE
LOST DIMENSION

        camouflage in a sense, as with the vanishing bunkers, is very much
a manifestation of the vanishing of qualities both in their menacing and
their defeated aspects of war machines and structures

        a recent example is the Stealth bomber

        though I doubt if any artists were employed in the making of that!

-- dave baptiste chirot