Sol Nte wrote:

> BTW - I must confess to being a smoker with no interest in quitting....then
> again I believe that America as a nation is against smoking unlike Europe
> where smoking is considered a wonderful thing. I've heard that in Greece
> many people smoke while swimming in the sea and holding one hand out of the
> water to hold their cigarettes!!
>
> Reed wrote:
>
> >The most unfortunate part of participating in Fluxlist is that professional
> artists are allowed to participate also.<
>
> I think any division into professional and non-professional in art is
> ultimately fruitless.

I agree.

> Reed, I've seen your work and you're very professional
> in your methods..I also know you to carefully consider your work and
> practice self-criticism in order to maintain a high standard...this is
> professional practice..whilst you may not be making your living as an artist
> your approach is professional....

Yes, and in this way I differ from many mail artists who are staunch
"non-artists" or "not-an-artists" or "networkers" Though I do feel a definite
affinity with the third group.

> if we remove money all labels have a little
> more meaning and serve as better descriptors of what actually is.

Yes, I suppose that's true, then the situation can be looked at more from a
"facts-about- actvities" viewpoint, i.e. in terms of work/play done or apart
from economic considerations like income derived from art and how that affects
aesthetic considerations. Still, many artists play to a captive audience of the
converted made by the art industry and this kind of art I dislike intensely
because it deliberately ignores certain classes of people, like the
art-illiterate, or the poor, or the working class etc. it is not democratic or
based on  equalities.

I see what you're saying about my mimicking professional art practices but I
usually do it only to be different than the mail art crowd and as far as being
critical of my own work- I've always thought that mail art shared certain
similarities with conceptual art in that since there is no jury or criticism
the mail artist takes up the responsibility of criticising his/her own work and
being his/her own critical apparatus.

RA