I'm an ex art student, of sorts.
I did a 5 year part time honours degree in 2 years 3 mths!
I did a year on "arts and design", self-initiated projects.  I worked pretty
much alone, as even the course leader, a man who I like and admire very
much, said it would take him several months to catch up with his reading to
allow him to help me.
I got firsts for every project in my first (technically 2.5th) year and
didn't know how to progress.
Then the course dictated that I transferred to fine art, again
self-negotiated projects.  The "fine artist" lecturers didn't have a clue.
(by this time I was fairly confident and happy in what i was doing), I was
attacked, as a student, by so called professional artists, as my work lacked
"traditional" values, etc. I didn't paint, sculpt, did a minimal of
printwork, and graphics and they couldnt work it out.  Even when i explianed
myself there was a  lot of negativity.  The head of fine art even suggested
that i transferred to another university, a one which might understand!!!!
I also lectured whilst i was there.
I ended up getting a good honours degree, without feeling like i did a
course!  What was the point of going to university for me, i often wonder
what would have happened if there had been a decent staff.
The only difference between then and now is that then i had a goal, i
suppose.

The thing is, I am not by any means, in my opinion, that good, erm....

and i have completly forgotten the point of this mail, having apparently
obliterated the original the which i was responding.

Was something Eryk writ i think!?

anyway, perhaps i should have done an I.T. course

yours

alan