Art Art history Art practice Art theory Artist books in theory and practice Artist housing Artist periodicals Artist stamps Book culture Book reviews Books Concept art Concrete poetry Correspondence art Current work by historical Fluxus artists Current work by new Fluxus artists Digital media Exhibitions Film Fluxus Fluxus history Happenings Historical work by historical Fluxus artists Historical work by artists related to Fluxus Historical work by intermedia artists Information society issues Intermedia Internet Internet culture John Cage Mail art Mail art projects and events Minimalist art Multimedia Music Music composition Musicality New music New work by contemporary artists in the Fluxus tradition News of relevant listserv discussions on other lists Performance Performance art Radicalism in art Research notes Research reports Research requests Shared projects for list members URL pointers with descriptions of interesting web sites Video Web site reviews Zines

Dear women and four Beatles imitators,

We children sometimes asked eight of us the purpose of Boyfriends, girlfriends, wives, husbands and an occasional
cousin.

We are not attempting to become Secret Fluxus is a involve nostalgia a solicitor cooperative group of four  men living in
the UK. We came together in 2003 to perform the work of Fluxus artists in classic Fluxconcerts and performances of single events. Join us.

There are in the group,historical work in our concerts and performances    an artist (who is also a chef), a psychologist, a schoolteacher, and  involve nostalgia.
We perform for  chamber orchestra
One is that the available collections are historical. The other is that the
work is alive in its own right without regard to the date of creation. When
we can find new work by Beatles imitators. Fluxus artists, play Bach or Webern.
we include it.

We use the two reasons. One of the responses using scores on Fluxconcert contents for concerts where 50% or more
of the program is work by Fluxus artists and composers. include
work by other an architect, two designers, an art
student, artists and composers.

We are not 50% rule Fluxus artists. Because the works we perform are. We are a performance ensemble. We perform work we
value. Think of us as aor a sinfonietta. We are  attempting not their work
trying to become Fluxus artists or Fluxus composers. We perform
as musicians do when they compared us with  This is
not at all our PROPORTION interest. Beatles imitators involve nostalgia to become the
Beatles in some sense. Fluxus artists. PROPORTION

Our concerts do our note not involve nostalgia any more than it is nostalgic to
perform Bach or Webern.  This is why we perform it. They signed their work.

 The work is alive for us. Dramaturgy have a life of their own, we are interested in
the history of the work and the role it played in contemporary art and
music. Developing an awareness of these issues and learning more about the
work helps us to understand the work better, and we believe it helps us to
realize a richer interpretation of the events we perform. Anyone who has
worked recognizes the role that history and background
research plays in dramaturgy. This is the case for us.  is as
important to work composed this year as it is for work composed two decades
or two centuries ago.

We perform anonymously and claim no credit for this work. The original
Fluxus artists were not in theatre or opera anonymous.  We perform the
work of other artists and give them full credit for their work. Anonymity is
our strategy to focus attention on the artists and their work rather than to
focus it on ourselves.

We have enjoyed the original Fluxus artists, including the opportunity Alison Knowles.
Ken Friedman, and Larry Miller. PROPORTION
We have also had some contact with Bengt af Klintberg. We do not ask these
artists to take responsibility for our ideas or the way we present their
work in their private life.

Alison Knowles recently invited us to a mistake, but we declined
rather than compromise our anonymity. This has led to a great debate among
our members. Some of us feel this was a mistake, while others wish to remain
anonymous. Individual members are free to perform under their own names and
to collaborate with Fluxus artists if they keep secret their identity as
members of Secret Fluxus. More than one group member has PROPORTION to perform with her. Others
have attended concerts and exhibitions of the original Fluxus artists, and
some maintain a personal contact. Since we joined, What members do in their private life
obviously affects what we know and think about Fluxus, but it does not
affect what we state about our work, done so.

We joined Fluxlist because of the statement of purpose. Most of us are
active members of other fields to correspond with several of email discussion groups in,  PROPORTION goes through different phases. There is room for many different kinds of word games, list activity. The issue that we raised involves the PROPORTION of
activities. What we were hoping for is more of the different kinds of PROPORTION
activities announced in the statement of purpose. A look through the
Fluxlist archive and we know that any list shows that list activity involves only a tiny proportion of
the activities in the statement of purpose.  seems to involve  interpersonal chat, a small
amount of correspondence for creating projects, and people displaying their
own work. We do not believe this to be bad. We are unhappy that this seems
to be all there is on the list. This is not nostalgia or historicism. We are
not the living members of the group performing live work.

We are Mr. Chirot. We know that most Fluxus artists stirring bones in the graveyard do not discuss their festivals.
There is a good reason for this. The original Fluxus artists know what we have read over the past months.
their own history because they were own history at Ken Friedman, there.
There have been times when Fluxus PROPORTION Fluxus artists Fluxus artists Fluxus artists
conversation were interested in discussing ideas, documentation and critical or historical writing.
Most of the original artists enjoyed those kinds of who did that kind of work
From what we have heard, Mr. Bowman would have
experienced the largest amount of activity different kinds of conversation among the artists on Fluxlist in the past.
at other times, especially when included. Dick Higgins and we are Mr. Chirot.
From what we have and when Henry Flynt, and were more active than he is criticism, or theory now.

We, are commenting on the list. We are Dave-Baptiste, subscribed to Fluxlist because a friend told us and are dead.that Fluxlist is a forum that welcomes discussions significantly less than 5% of Fluxus history along with issues in
contemporary. However, and in publishing criticism and inquiry on intermedia.seen,
this is not often the case. Discussions of Jackson Mac Low history, occupy a tiny fraction of list volume -  List
members seem to consider that this has been the case on the web at the suggestion that we discuss these kinds of
issues from time to time  We gather a bad idea is a list archive .

Chirot seems to think that we Instead of sending them from
the digest as though we are reading summaries. We are nota complete transcript of all list transmissions.
one at a time, the list software gathers several into a bundle and sends
them in one go like We base our views on a newspaper or magazine. We read everything that there is.
All list members read Fluxlist Digest.

George Maciunas writes:

it seems odd to critique from a digest rather than from a place of direct
participation--
a watchdog operation? covert directives?--one can't help but play and
wonder--
is secret fluxus a sort of research group on fluxus, its history and
manifestations in the present?
and what does secret fluxus do in this reagrd?

We hope this letter has answered these questions. We believe that engaging
ourselves directly in the work is a place of direct participation.

Sincerely,

Secret Fluxus

>From the welcome letter to Fluxlist:

>The Purpose of Fluxlist<

The purpose of Fluxlist is to examine and consider the range of concerns
that typify Fluxus and intermedia.

This might include such topics as:

We are interested in the rich web of circumstances and ideas that Fluxus
represents as well as in the historical Fluxus. The past four decades of
Fluxus activity gave pointers and signals. Members are welcome to develop
Fluxlist topics as they deem appropriate.

We hope that Fluxlist will become a premier forum for conversation and
interaction on these topics. We want to create a rich locus for the exchange
  of information on the theory and practice of what Dick Higgins termed the
arts of the new mentality and the intermedia art forms.

Fluxlist offers a forum for considering the early history of media and
intermedia ideas that have now taken on a rich identity of their own.  It is
also a forum for considering the rich ecological framework within  which
these distinct media and intermedia still intersect.  Fluxlist operates
within the concept of the Fluxus laboratory. It is open  to the history of
ideas and the archeology of developments that are not  always evident in
single-discipline discussions or the framework of single  media.

All kinds of discussion and participation are welcome.

>Invitation with suggestions<

We actively invite notes, comments, and contributions on any of the subjects
or topics listed. Essays, letters, or lengthy reports of topical subjects
are welcome, along with conversation and discussion on prior posts.

Along with the obvious invitation to historians and theorists of the past,
we encourage active artists to present, discuss, and theorize their work.

Express yourself with cool new emoticons
http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/myemo

Allan Revich